Questions to ask yourself before creating the first website for your business
In 2018 having a website for your business appears to be no longer an option. Every Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises offering services or manufacturing products are required to have their own website. Websites are a great marketing asset for any business. It works round the clock to keep your prospects informed of your offerings. Websites are no longer only for those who sell online but even for others, giving credibility to your business.
Creating the first website for your business
Creating a website for your business is easier than you might think. If you have the time, you can do it yourself. With many open source content management systems available these days, managing your website has become as easy as working on a word document. Whether you do it yourself or hiring a professional to build your website, you should be aware of three things that complete a website and ask yourself all of these questions.
The first thing you should do is to get yourself a domain name. Domain names are a textual representation of the digital address (IP) of your website (eg: 192.168.1.1). Few important things to ask yourself regarding your domain name are:
- How can I choose the right domain name?
- Where should I register my domain name?
- What are the costs involved in a domain name?
- What freedom do I have to use the domain name with any service provider irrespective of where it was originally registered?
- What are my legal rights to my domain name?
Once you have the domain name registered, you will not need to subscribe to a web hosting service. Web hosting service gives you access to space on a web server to host your website. Few questions to ask yourself about web hosting are:
- What is the right web hosting option?
- How much disk space and bandwidth do I need?
- Windows or Linux, which OS is the best?
- What is the best option for my business email?
- How do I access my web hosting?
Now that you have the domain name and the web hosting available for your new website, the next thing to do is to build the website itself. Some of the questions that might help you decide on the right website for your business could be:
- What are the types of websites?
- Which design option is the best for my business?
- How can I come up with the structure of my website?
- How do I promote my website?
- How can I track and analyze my website visitors?
Asking yourselves these questions before creating your first website will definitely help you in coming up with the best website for your business. If you think there are additional key questions to ask, please let me know in the comment section below.